When we think of hospice care we often associate it with cancer patients, but it’s valuable for patients at the end-of-life for other terminal conditions as well, including Alzheimer’s disease. It would be a good idea to begin considering hospice if the patient is in an advanced stage of the illness. In advanced Alzheimer’s disease the patient is unable to walk, dress or bathe without help; has trouble controlling urine and/or bowel functions; and only rarely speaks meaningful sentences.
We are Hospice of the Golden Isles, Inc., and we provide quality hospice care to those in Brunswick, GA who need it. Our team is dedicated to providing each patient with individualized care that meets their unique needs. We believe that everyone should have access to quality hospice care, regardless of their ability to pay. Contact us today to learn more about our services.
More Specific Signs You Should Consider Hospice Care: According to Gregg Warshaw, MD, Director of Geriatric Medicine at the University of Cincinnati and Past President of the American Geriatric Society, if your loved one with advanced Alzheimer’s is exhibiting any of the following symptoms, you may want to talk to your loved one’s doctor about whether it’s time to consider hospice care:
Hospice of the Golden Isles, Inc. provides compassionate hospice care for those with a life-limiting illness. We believe in providing our patients with individualized care that respects their wishes and meets their needs. Our team of experienced nurses, doctors, and social workers are dedicated to helping our patients and their families through this difficult time. If you or a loved one is facing a life-limiting illness, please call us to learn more about our hospice services.
- Two or more episodes of pneumonia or other serious infections during the past 6-months
- Difficulty eating and swallowing, even with feeding help, that results in weight loss of 10% or more over the preceding 6 months
- One or more skin pressure ulcers that are not healing
- At Hospice of the Golden Isles, Inc., we provide compassionate end-of-life care to Brunswick, GA residents. From our skilled nurses and counselors to our volunteers and clergy, we are dedicated to providing the best possible care for our patients and their families. Whether you’re interested in hospice services for yourself or a loved one, we would be honored to serve you.
10 Most Common Questions about Hospice Care:
- What is hospice care? Hospice care is a team-oriented, compassionate approach to care for terminally ill patients that focuses on improving the quality of life and reducing pain and discomfort. It strives to help patients live their final days to the fullest, with dignity and support. Hospice care addresses physical, social, emotional and spiritual aspects of the patient’s life.
- Hospice of the Golden Isles, Inc. provides compassionate care to those facing a life-limiting illness. Our team of specialists offers personalized treatment plans and support services to ensure that patients and their families receive the best possible care. We are proud to offer convenient, in-home care for patients in Brunswick, GA and the surrounding areas. With our experienced team of nurses, social workers, and counselors, we are dedicated to providing comfort and compassion during this difficult time. For more information or to schedule a consultation, call us today!
- Where are services provided? In patients’ homes, assisted living facilities, nursing homes, free-standing hospice facilities or hospital hospice units.
- How does my loved one qualify for hospice care? The patient’s physician must certify that the patient is expected to live less than six months if the current illness runs its normal course. The patient must also have either Medicare Part A or qualify for services under Medicaid or Tricare, a military service member and family benefit. Some private insurance companies also pay for the care.
- What services are provided to the patient? Primarily physician and nursing services; physical, occupational and speech therapy; medical social services; home health aide and homemaker services; counseling; short-term inpatient care; prescription drugs; and medical appliances and supplies.
- Our Hospice of the Golden Isles, Inc. provides expert, compassionate care to those with a life-limiting illness. Our team of skilled professionals is dedicated to helping our patients and their families live every day to the fullest. From providing comfort and support to easing pain and symptoms, we are here for you when you need us most.
- What services are provided for family members? Primarily respite care and bereavement counseling. The latter is provided before and up to one year after the patient’s death.
- Who pays for it? Medicare, Medicaid (in most states), some private insurance companies and Tricare. In all cases, coverage applies only to issues related the terminal illness – not to room and board in any facility or other medical conditions that may arise during the time the patient is receiving hospice care.
Hospice of the Golden Isles, Inc.
1692 Glynco Pkwy, Brunswick, GA 31525